It’s no secret that social media has taken over the world. What started as a way for people to connect with friends and family has turned into a juggernaut of marketing, communication, and news. As more and more people join social media platforms, it becomes increasingly important to understand how to use them correctly. Here are some do’s and don’ts of social media to help you make the most of your experience.
- Use social media to connect with friends and family. This is what it was originally intended for and it’s still one of the best uses for it.
- Raise awareness about charitable causes. Social channels can be a fantastic platform for fundraising, so consider Buying TikTok Views if you want to promote a charity close to your heart.
- Stay up-to-date on current events. Social media is a great way to get your news fix.
- Use social media to entertain and inform your followers. Research suggests that the 80/20 rule works best so try to make 80 percent of your content informative and entertaining. The remaining 20 percent can be more transactional or sales-focused.
- Connect with brands and businesses. Many businesses now use social media as a form of digital marketing to connect with their customers.
- Use the best platform for you or your business. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok can all be used effectively but require slightly different approaches to maximize ROI.
- Use social media to promote your brand or business. If you have something to sell, social media is a great way to get the word out there and reach your target audience.
- Remember your manners. Whether you use a business or personal account it is important to be polite and courteous at all times. Insulting comments or offensive posts can seriously harm your online reputation.
- Use social media to find out about new products and services. Social media is often used by businesses to promote their latest offerings.
- Post high-quality content. Try to find out what your followers like best and cater your content to reflect their interests.
- Maintain a consistent identity. Keeping your online presence the same shows your followers that you have a clear vision that translates across different social networks.
- Use social media to stalk people. This is a major no-no. If you wouldn’t do it in real life, don’t do it on social media.
- Spread negativity. No one wants to be bombarded with negativity. If you have something negative to say, keep it to yourself.
- Spread fake news. Sharing content that is untrue is dangerous and can harm your reputation.
- Use poor grammar and spelling. Any mistakes can harm your credibility. Always proofread your content before posting and correct any spelling errors that arise as soon as possible.
- Use social media to spam people. This is just annoying and no one likes it.
- Use social media to hack into someone’s account. This is a serious offense and can lead to legal trouble.
- Use content that you do not own. Respect other creators by tagging and acknowledging their work. Sharing others’ work is strongly encouraged, but stealing outright is not.
- Bully someone. This is not only wrong, but it can also get you banned from social media platforms.
- Use too many automated messages. Automation marketing tools can boost your account when used judiciously but it is more important to interact with your followers genuinely.
- Overshare. Posting at the right frequency for your audience can be difficult to master and oversharing can lead to your followers unfollowing so it is important to find the sweet spot.
- Use the same content over and over again. Give your followers something new to enjoy. The algorithms can spot duplicate content and will penalize your account for repetitive posts so be creative online.
Social media has benefits and drawbacks
Now that we’ve covered the do’s and don’ts of social media etiquette, it’s time to put them into practice. Start by evaluating your current social media strategy. Are you following all of the best practices we outlined in this article? If not, make the necessary changes and see how your engagement (and business) improves as a result.
Finally, don’t forget to have fun with social media. Although it’s important to be professional, remember that social media is first and foremost a platform for building relationships. So relax, be yourself, and enjoy the process.
What are some of your social media do’s and don’ts? And who are some of your favorite brands and personalities to follow on each platform? Get in touch and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.